Wednesday 10th March – Tuesday 16th March
‘…He was in the form of God; yet He laid no claim to equality with God, but made Himself nothing, assuming the form of a slave. Bearing the human likeness, sharing the human lot, He humbled Himself, and was obedient, even to the point of death, death on a cross…’ (Philippians 2, verses 6 – 8)
- And now, O Father, mindful of the love that bought us, once for all, on Calvary’s tree,
And having with us Him that pleads above, we here present, we here spread forth to Thee,
That only offering perfect in Thine eyes, the one true, pure, immortal sacrifice.
- Look, Father, look on His anointed face, and only look on us as found in Him;
Look not on our misusings of Thy grace, our prayer so languid, and our faith so dim;
For lo! between our sins and their reward, we set the passion of Thy Son our Lord.
- And then for those, our dearest and our best, by this prevailing presence we appeal;
O fold them closer to Thy mercy’s breast! O do Thine utmost for their souls’ true weal!
From tainting mischief keep them white and clear, and crown Thy gifts with strength to persevere.
- And so we come; O draw us to Thy feet, most patient Saviour, who canst love us still!
And by this food, so awful and so sweet, deliver us from every touch of ill:
In Thine own service make us glad and free, and grant us nevermore to part with Thee.
During this week, which includes ‘Mothering Sunday’, or ‘Mothers’ Day’, please pray…
- For ‘Mother Church’; for those who shared their faith with us, nurtured us and encouraged us. For the various congregations of which we have been a part over the years. For fellowship in the Gospel with sisters & brothers in Christ…
- For the life of the Church to which we presently belong, for everything that is excitingly new; for that which inspires us, enthuses us, encourages us and causes us to be blessed in our belonging…
- For mothers everywhere. For those for whom being a mother is more of a burden than a joy: for single mothers and their children; for mothers forced to live separately from their children, for adoptive & foster mothers…
- Mindful of those for whom memories of childhood are painful; of those denied the opportunity to relate to their birth mother; of victims of spousal and parental abuse…
‘…My one desire is to know Christ and the power of His resurrection, and to share in His sufferings in growing conformity with His death, in the hope of somehow attaining the resurrection from the dead…’ (Philippians 3, verses 10 – 11)